How to ruin a good book.

Lord Foul's Bane 

(The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever #1)

by Stephen R. Donaldson

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1)
I wanted to like this book. It started well enough. It could have been so good. But then the main character raped an innocent girl. Was he supposed to be the hero? A rapist can’t be the good guy. So was he the bad guy? I got the impression he was supposed to go on to be some sort of saviour. I even tried reading on but I couldn’t push the incident aside the way it is pushed aside in the book. I ended up reading the synopses of the series to see if he is repentant and redeems himself in any way, or that the girl might have risen above the despair (or better still that she might have murdered him) but it wasn’t to be, if anything her fate seemed to become sadder and sadder. I prefer the main character to be either a good character I love to love, or a diabolically bad character who ends up copping it big time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artemis Fowl - Middle-Grade Novels

Paper books and e-books. Horses for courses.

Mandalorian